The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, June 18, 2015

All You Need's a Nudge

       Sometimes all you need is a little push. A nudge. A bit of prompting.

      On Monday I only had two paragraphs. Two pathetic paragraphs that were written over the weekend. It was a prospective Chicken Soup story, but already, it wasn't going anywhere.

      Tuesday rolled around and I figured I would come empty-handed to my writing critique group. I rarely do that. I hate not bringing something to the group. We only meet twice a month, and since I get such helpful feedback from the WWWPs, when I don't share something, I'm missing out on invaluable help.

      I got up early enough on Wednesday morning that I was able to hurry through a rough draft. Yes, when I shared the piece later that evening, there were word choices that needed to be changed. The title stunk. But... I was able to benefit from the much-needed suggestions.

      Those twice-monthly meetings push me to write. And when I'm there, they nudge me to submit.

      Yesterday, along with some great food (Nora Ephron's spaghetti) and great critique work, we celebrated one of those pesky annual celebrations... a celebration that I'd like to ignore. The WWWPs, however, won't let any birthday pass without hilarity and thoughtfulness.

      One of the gifts I got was this book. Yeah, you missed the announcement that my mug had made the cover of a book? Well, don't look too closely. The expression on my face is, uh, well... I was looking pretty whackadoo when the camera shutter fluttered.





        One of the women took a book, entitled Wild Women, and glued in hilarious chapter descriptions and photos of all five of us.* 

         Let this be a lesson for you. When you are at a public event, and someone wants to take your picture, do not make a funny face to deter them from snapping the pic. The scary facial expression will not stop them. They will take the photograph, they'll hold onto it like it's a gold mine and then later, that picture will turn around and bite you in the butt.

        If you don't belong to a writing critique group, what nudges you? And if you do belong to a writing group, what's a story about a prompt/shove that you'd like to share?

* Linda: Pay-back is a cold-hearted witch. I am going to scour the thrift stores looking for the perfect volume... and I won't rest until I find it.
     

16 comments:

  1. I have some writer friends who swear by their critique groups. I'm not sure if it's that I don't feel worthy, or that I may have just a bit of trust issues. I had a college professor take my idea for a script and use pieces of it in a TV show. I guess the only way I will ever let it go completely is by finding a writing group and jumping in with both feet. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They are a great source of inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Excuses--Find some writers whose company you enjoy... make sure they have some talent. Find out if they're cut-throat and brutal or constructive and caring. I don't think you should jump in... I think you should dive in when you find 3 or 4 writers like that. Form your group. Set up a schedule (I suggest at least twice per month) and meet somewhere where you can have food and drink--either someone's house or a coffee shop or a book store cafe.

    You're welcome, and thank YOU. I'd love to hear when (not if ;) you form a group...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you need's a nudge.
    All you need's a nudge.
    All you need's a nudge, nudge.
    A nudge is all you need.

    For some reason, my fingertips felt like typing The Beatles.

    I tried to belong to a writing group, but the first night I showed up, 16 other people didn't. I took that as a sign that perhaps it was not the right writing group for me. It was a bit awkward with just the leader, his wife, his son, and me with my dragged-along companion, Genius. What nudges me is my thyroid pill every morning, and a 44 oz Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--I think you should form your own group. Or, create your own writing retreat. It could be at a KOA cabin (combining the rustic AND the luxury of hot running water)... I know of at least a few wild women wielding pens who would love to spend the weekend with you.

      Delete
  4. First, happy birthday! Second, that book is brilliant. Talk about personalizing it for you. lol

    What nudges me? The knowledge that my goals won't arrive at my doorstep by themselves. I've wasted/lost a ton of time over the years, specifically with my writing, just through procrastination, and I wonder how far I would've gotten if I had just sat my butt down and gotten to work. The older I get, the more I regret wasted time. (There were times I'd sit to write and spend two hours playing word games on the computer instead. *shakes head*)

    I don't belong to a writer's group now, but I did (the Inklets) and learned so much from those wonderful ladies. I miss our get-togethers. They really did make me a much better writer. And belonging to a writer's group did nudge me out of my stupor often, force me to put something together or finish something I'd started. I think a writer's group can be a fantastic resource (when you're lucky with the people in your group, as you are, Sioux, and as I was). I can also see how it can go the other way if not everyone is committed, or if someone in the group is a troll who discourages the group rather than lifts it---if you get into a group like that, run for the hills! But if you're lucky...write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Thanks. Yes, Linda's creation is brilliant AND hilarious. I will really have to work to get even close to equaling it when I choose to pounce with some revenge.

      I've wasted a bunch of decades. I guess we can just do our best to make up for lost time. With a trio of books coming out (and more on the horizon, I imagine) you ARE making up for lost time.

      Delete
  5. Ha! Your face really makes the cover of that book, Sioux!

    Yep, I miss the Inklets, too, but I still get nudges. I always get paid manuscript critiques at conferences, usually with an editor or an agent. I guess technically, I wouldn't call that a nudge--it's more like a shove to write the very best that I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Uh, thanks... I think.

      Manuscript critiques done by an editor or agent at a conference--that's a scary pool I haven't dipped my toes into yet.

      Delete
  6. I have been in four writing groups, and this one is the perfect fit.
    Glad you liked the book. I laughed while making it and I am laughing again. Oh, I know you will get even :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--Yes, I was in a couple before the WWWPs, and the one we're in is better than perfect (if that's possible).

      You should be afraid. You should be VERY afraid.

      Delete
  7. Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Sioux! The book is too funny. I tend to run in the other direction when I see a camera. I'd far rather be the photographer than the photographee.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Thanks. I did. I guess if there was a photographer around, you'd be hiding and I'd be hiding behind you. ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh, that is so true about those pictures, isn't it? The WWWPs nudge me, too. This nudges me. Lisa's comment nudges me. Even Val's Beatles song. Maybe if I get enough nudges I will actually budge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy--Nudges That Budge Us...I think that's a possible title for a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For sure the WWWPs are inspiring and nudge me to do more... and that book was a hoot! Also, can't wait to read the book by Sue Monk Kidd.... and way to go that you are moving forward on your novel. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn--After Linda reads it, you're next. It's a great one.

    And I'M an inspiration? You're kidding. You've completed so many big pieces (manuscripts) and now you've plugging away on a real artistic project that's quite ambitious. YOU are a real artist, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...