The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, August 11, 2014

Know Yourself



      It's crucial to know yourself...to know what works for you...to stay true to yourself.
      In the spirit of self-awareness, I thought I'd share a few tidbits of self-discovery I've unearthed.


  •        It's important to know what kind of workplace you require. Recently, I've been reading about how sitting for too long is bad for you. But if you write, not writing long enough is bad for you. So, what's a writer to do?
       Take a look at my new desk. It allows me to stand up and write.


This was a birthday present this summer. It was a little under $5000 but is soooo cool and soooo worth it. *















  •         It's vital to know what you can and cannot do. Know your limitations and don't angst over them. Cathy C. Hall has her prankster sidekick, Cathy-on-a-Stick, and this mischievous imp is beautiful. Her hair is artfully styled. She has a lovely expression on her face. (It makes me want to stick a screwdriver into one of her tires. Cathy, what kind of car do you drive?)
                       I can't do that (the looking pretty on a photograph part--the screwdriver part? Easy). So, I had to figure out what I could do.


This debut of Sioux-on-a-Stick occurred in Val the Victorian Land.
 
           I can do crazy. I can do whackadoo. I can do self-deprecating. However, I need a new name for my alter-ego. Cathy-on-a-Stick had me served with a subpoena a few days ago. It seems she has her name copyrighted, and doesn't appreciate having her turf tromped on. I must cease and desist. Immediately. (Who knew a tiny woman stuck on a piece of wood could have such a sophisticated vocabulary?)


          So, if you have a great suggestion for my stand-in, please send them over.


  •    It's critical to know what will energize you or what will get you out of your funk. Right now, when Paramore's "Still Into You" comes on, I'm bopping along--I can't help myself. Just about anything by One Republic does it for me as well. Sometimes snuggling with my puppy (when I'm not writing ads to give him away ;) will do the trick. For others, it might be cooking up a storm, or running/exercising. And apparently for this baby, Katy Perry has the key to happiness...
 

          So, don't forget alternative suggestions for my picture-on-a-stick. (Are you happy now, Cathy-on-a-Stick? I didn't even get close to infringing on your rights that time.) And if you're so inclined, you can share what things you have found out about yourself that have brought you more peace...


        And as a slight digression, assume good intentions. When someone--a colleague, a friend, a family member--says something that offends you, assume they meant well ...and have a dialogue about it. An angry monologue shot towards someone does no good. You never know. The offender might have a completely different background, and are speaking out of ignorance. They might have been gently joking (and humor is sometimes difficult to convey on paper). They might have simply worded things in an awkward way and didn't mean to hurt anyone. Assume. Assume and then ask ... 

* Of course this is not my desk. I have seen one like it, and they are cool, but what a preposterous price. My "stand at" desk (I think) is going to be an old sewing cabinet, with a turntable case on top of it. I think I've measured correctly, and with my laptop on top of it, it's the perfect height. And it's free.

17 comments:

  1. Cathy-on-a-Stick (COAS) is no doubt a formidable opponent, but if she and (SOAP) Siouix-on-a-Pop ever have a one-on-one debate, I want to be there listening, because the one-liners issuing forth will be priceless. Your mutual humor will trump any STICKy situation that arises.

    I feel ya on the sitting all the time. I write in the morning (sitting), do medical transcription all afternoon (more sitting), come home and write some more (yep . . . sitting). It's a wonder my a** doesn't look like a slab of plywood. Sometimes I'll set my laptop up at the kitchen table (it's a high top) and work standing up, but that doesn't last long due to my being bunionated on the right foot. So in the sitting AND standing positions, I'm pretty much screwed (and I don't mean that in a romance-writer-sexy kind of way). **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Typo-ed. That would be Sioux-on-a-Pop. Actually, I just came up with a better one. How about Popsiouxcle? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--You think I'm offended when my name has a typo in it? Surely you jest. I'm the one who's proud when my students write in marker on the bathroom stall door, "Mrs. R is a --tch" and they get the consonant blend correct.

      Oh, nooooo. You gave me two great ones. Thanks. Now I have to go through endless vacillating. I love the acronym, but I'm afraid that when my snarky mouth really opens up, people will change that to "Sioux GETS a Pop."

      Okay, with your bunionated foot, the only position left is laying down. A hammock, perhaps? YOU would have to expand your belly so it could serve as a desk when lying down. Me, I'm already prepared for hammock writing...

      And a stand-off between COAS and Popsiouxcle? Shudder. The snarky barbs would be zinging back and forth at such an alarming rate, it WOOD be scary.

      Delete
  3. How about Sioux Biz
    That desk does not appeal to me but I bet the one you are planning in wood will be pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--Thanks for the suggestion, My version of a stand-at desk--I don't know if it will be pretty, but it will be functional and will be $5000 cheaper than that $5000 desk.

      Delete
  4. Well, I guess that "butt in chair" business will now become "feet on floor." When I look at Your Royal Stick-iness, I always think, "Sioux with Moose Antlers." Don't know why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--When I can find a talented air-brusher, I'd like to come up with a second alter-ego so that at some point--billions and billions of years from now--I could go to a writing conference and have my Sioux on a Stick pose with readin' and writin' folks...and not look so cray-cray. We'll see...

      And I hope you bowed down when you wrote "Your Royal Stickness." Of course, the ultimate rulers remain seated when their underlings stand at attention...Val-on-a-Recliner.

      Delete
  5. I like SOAP. The desk? Never would I spend $5000 on such when I could make one!! I just put my laptop on the kitchen counter ..... perfect. I like to multi-task, though it does make for a sticky key board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy--I'm leaning towards SOAP, too. Just think what better things that amount of money could be spent on? Crazy!

      Delete
  6. Sioux Unglued? (I'm in a rhyming state of mind)

    BTW, I started wearing a fitbit pedometer. It counts my steps and reminds me when I need to get my backside up and moving. Side bonus is even after 5 minutes of walking my brain becomes a little less muddled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat--Sioux Unglued? I like that one as well. The initials would be SU, which could stand for "Suck Up" which I never am able to do (much to my dismay).

    Thanks, and I will look into the Fit Butt. Oh, sorry-- the fitbit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of any names but like the suggestions. I sometimes think I should sit on the exercise ball at my desk. Then I realize no way could I concentrate on balancing on a ball and writing too. Too much multi-tasking for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy--I like the suggestions, too. It will be difficult to choose...

      Delete
  9. I'm rather fond of Whack-a-Sioux, though I told Cathy-on-a-Stick that I thought that sounded a tad passive aggressive. (And she said, "Just type, &^*." I'd drop that skinny pic-on-a-stick if she didn't have such great hair.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Whack-a-Sioux." ANOTHER great idea, another reason for vacillating. Thanks a lot. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...